Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

J.O.Y.

I've done a lot of talking on here about things I like and enjoy. And last week I talked
about some of my pet peeves. So now you know some of the things I don't like. I don't want to
"beat a horse to death", but I hope you'll bear with me as I ponder a little about some of the things
that also bring me joy, since I think there's often a big difference between things we like and things
that actually bring us joy. There are far too many things about our lives and our world that cause us
to lose our joy or to overlook it, misplace it, forget about it or even forget that we're missing it. Am
I hitting a chord? I hope so.

As I get older (yikes, there I go again with that thought), I'm more aware of what brings me joy. When I was young(er) I didn't give it a lot of conscious thought. I know I experienced joy, but didn't often dwell on it. I suppose I was busier, but I'm more inclined to think that it was because I just
hadn't developed the insight I needed to cherish it. Now, as I look back on my life, I'm over-
whelmed with the wonderful things that brought me joy then. When the kids were little and the entire family was together.  Joy. The night I gave birth to my son was, without a doubt, the most joyful moment of my life and that joy has never lessened. However,  there were the day-to-day joys that came with watching him grow and mature, watching him become a little man, a big boy, an adult. Certainly the big moments, like Christmases, birthdays, graduations and singing engagements are engraved in my heart. But even more so were the smaller moments, the moments of mother and child that shine brighter for me. I could go on and on about the "mamma moments" that still bring me joy to remember, but you'd stop reading, I fear.

At this point in my life there are so many small things that bring me joy every day. You all know
I love my morning coffee and if it's enjoyed on the porch, all the better. I love the feel of the
breezes that blow this time of year, whether early morning, midday or evening. That's joy. And I
love music, most music. Whether I'm listening in the house, in the car - wherever.......listening to
and singing along - that brings me joy. I'm not sure how much joy it brings to others who are
nearby, however. Joy.

 It goes without saying, but I would be remiss to omit it......my wiener dog Albert and his siblings - bring me more joy than I ever thought possible for a tail baby to do. Total Joy.

My loved ones, family and friends. Absolute joy. I have lost many, many dear ones through the
years. I know the loss, the absence, the void. So - my memories of these dear ones bring me much
joy. But being with and hearing from my friends is priceless joy. And family? Well, as families are,
some stay closer than others, but all are loved, prayed for and wished joy.

It is joyful for me to smell freshly cut grass and to smell and crunch through crisp fallen leaves.
I find enormous joy in just putting up my (over the top) Autumn decorations and also my (more than
over the top) Christmas decorations! Bob can tell you that I fondle each item as though it's a
precious momento. It's a joy.

I certainly cannot leave out the smells that we all will be enjoying in the coming months. Isn't it a
joy to walk into the house and smell something baking, whether it's cookies or breads or the
Thanksgiving turkey? These sensory impressions remind us of our history of our families. To me,
they bring joy. I look forward to them. I hope you do.

Another thing that you may or may not relate to is the joy of Christmas shopping. Yep, I love it.
Now, I do prefer to do it in November or December and not summer! I'm aware that for some, this
will never be a joy and that's ok. But I love it. I can't hear those carols blasted overhead on the P.A. often enough and I love the crowds that bustle and shove. Joy. I may have lost some of you on this
paragraph.

A good movie, shared alone or with someone we love. A favorite book, read over and over. A pair
of comfortable shoes that you hope will never wear out. The feel of fresh sheets or a warm quilt.
A hot bath on a cold night. The sight of fresh snow falling outside the window - or even better,
walking through it when the ground is still pristine and untouched, everything quiet.

If you're an antique lover or collector, finding that long-sought item. Looking through old family picture albums. Making home made soup before the family comes home for the evening. Joy.

Have I touched that chord or have I "beaten the horse to death"? I hope it's the former. But just in case, I'll bring it to a joyful close. I'm no expert on joy. I certainly don't own it. It's free and it's available to us all, as you all know. It's just that different things, different experiences speak to each of us differently. Each of us views life through a different window and what we see is ours - to take joy in - if we choose.

Do I still wish for the trip across the world and all that goes with it? Sure! It would be great and I'm
sure it would bring me great joy. But for now, I'm trying to remember to FIND JOY in all the smaller things that already bring me JOY.

And my faith. My day-to-day relationship with God. It brings me joy. More and more as time goes by. Go find some joy this evening - and revel in it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment