Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

"It Truly Does Take A Village"

I was born in this small town and I've lived here all of my life - except for about a minute when I was
a very young woman. Some may say that narrows a life. In fact - I remember one time when someone
actually did tell me that, suggesting that I wouldn't have an opinion on "things" because I'd "never
BEEN anywhere". Well, it's not that I've never been anywhere, I've just always LIVED here,  laid my
weary head here - as it were. I love going places, but I've always called Chester home. If you have
too, then you may understand where I'm going with this. Or maybe not.

As I look back on my life, it is so obvious to me that I was planted here for a reason. I was going
to need a village. My family was going to need a village. And so, I was planted where a village
would be there for us. And it has been. It certainly has been. A "village" can manifest in a variety
of ways, of course. It can be a neighborhood, a group of friends, a church family - or an entire
community. However it appears and helps is not important. It's just important that the support, love
and encouragement are there.

Now, I'm not going to suggest that the village aspect doesn't present itself in larger communities.
Cities can be just as supportive as small towns. Let's look for a moment at the tragic situations
in St. Louis recently, with Officers Flamion and Snyder. The entire city of St. Louis and its
counties have joined forces to support the families and the Back Stoppers organization. What
heartwarming stories we've read and seen on the news about the many projects the people of St.
Louis have sponsored in order to be supportive and caring. It renews one's faith in mankind, doesn't it?

In a small town like Chester we've seen this type of support all of our lives. Some may wench and
complain about our small town and its shortcomings. But one cannot deny the heart of the people who reside here.

Growing up was a tad difficult for me and my family. I only say so, not to whine or complain, but
to make my point. I was blessed with a closely knit neighborhood and church family. Almost as
early as I can remember there were wonderful women in my life who "saw to things", made
sure that I had things I really needed. One woman was the late and wonderful Bernice Woolcott, who
lived just a couple of houses from me and also attended our church. She taught me to cook and to bake. She taught me to sew, though I don't hold my failure at that against her. :) She taught me
things about life that I can't begin to explain. She and her wonderful husband, John, took us to school every day. She would tell us little things - like when it was time to get out the winter coats for us and the kids. (We were smart enough to know, but we were kids and probably didn't always show a lot of responsibility.) She held me accountable in many ways - without ever shaking her finger at me or raising her voice. She loved us. That simple.

And always present in my life, has been Mary Limbaugh - wonderful, accepting, loving Mary
Limbaugh. I suppose I first met Mary when I was less than a toddler, attending the Methodist
Church in Chester. Mary is fond of saying, "Honey, I've loved you since you were in diapers."
And she has. There was never a time in my life that I have not been able to talk with Mary about
ANYTHING. She usually knew and understood what I was going through before I discussed it
with her. Mary's presence in my life has been a gift like no other. She has taught me about God's
love, just by being who she is. She has taught me about forgiveness and generosity, about
substance and the importance of laughter. Most of life's major and important life lessons have
come from her. Her door has always been open to me. And her heart, that wonderful heart, has
always been big enough to include me in it.

Eileen Gordon was my cousin and so she was always in my family circle. As a very young adult,
she took me under her wing and introduced me to community service and involvement. Also, for many years, I was blessed to have the opportunity to actually work with her at the Randolph County Herald Tribune. She was a talented and insightful writer. I too loved to write and she encouraged me to do so. Eileen and I were very close friends, as well as cousins, and I hold her impact on my life
as priceless.

I would be remiss not to mention another who mothered me and cared for me and that would be
Esther (Nance) Johnson. Esther's daughter and I were good friends during our teen years. Esther
and I had many mother/daughter talks and she made every effort to teach me the things she felt
I needed to know. She helped me more than she knows and I am so grateful. I remember my senior year in high school that Esther designed and made my prom dress so that I could attend the
CHS Spring Dance. No, Esther, I have not forgotten! Thank you so much for including me and
loving me!

Oh, my goodness, there have certainly been others - others who stepped up at the right moments
and took charge or guided me in a right direction.....or who forgave me when I took the wrong
direction. Others perhaps who protected me from who knows what! You know, being that "village"
 to others is not a concept that has gone out of style. It is as needed today as it ever was! It is still the
best way to show our love for others. It is still the best way to lift others up. It is still the best way
to be our best selves. And the need is all around us. I write this today, partially to acknowledge
special people I have loved and who have loved me. But I also write it as a reminder to myself to
"be the village". And I want to remind you to "be the village". At any given moment - any one of
us may be the only hand that is offered in a critical situation. Money is not always the answer.
Most often it's the hand or the heart that is offered in love. Thanks for reading, my friends.
I'm out the door and to the porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment