Search This Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's just a special day. It's not a religious holiday, like Christmas or Easter. And yet we certainly
remember today to be thankful for all that we have. For family and friends. For health. Good fortune. All of that and more. Probably we are always thankful for these things. But today, we stop to take
extra time to be grateful, to thank our God if we are believers. We bow our heads - or lift our heads, depending on what is our custom. And we say thank you. Thank you for all of it. And thank you for
seeing us through the hard times. We ask for God's protection and for His favor in the days to come.

I'm hoping at this time on Thanksgiving evening, that you're easing down, taking time to relax and to
take stock of the day. Some have worked very hard to make it a special time for family and
friends. Others of us (me, this year) have had a very relaxing day. If you've been well fed and cared
for today, please remember to find a way to thank your cook. She/he is exhausted. Trust me.

And as things are quieting down, let's just take a few minutes to utter some extra words of
thanks. I'm going to wager that you've already said thank you for the wonderful food you've been so
fortunate to consume. And probably you've said thank you to God for your precious family and
friends. I know I have. Let's remember to be grateful for our men and women in service to our
country and to our first responders who serve us closer to home, daily. And just a sidebar, this is one area where social media is so valuable. By mid morning today I'd been in touch with loved ones from across this great country and even from across the world. It was a wonderful, warm and special feeling. In an era when social media can be so dark, this start to my day was a blessing.

I'm also so thankful for tradition. I touched a little last week about the traditions that we, as women,
have inherited from our mothers - such as the ways that we cook and bake. But more than that, we
have all taken on the traditions of all of our ancestors, in celebrating this wonderful holiday. Think
back, if you will, on the memories of Thanksgivings of your past, when we were children. When
mothers cooked and cleaned, as they do now. And when families gathered together, as they do now.
Remember the days we spent with our grandparents, our aunts, uncles and cousins. As I've done
some of that remembering today, it's caused me to "smile out loud" if you know what I mean. I have
some wonderful memories of being with Grandma and Grandpa Hasemeyer and other extended family.

I specifically remember one Thanksgiving as a child when my little family was hosting the day at
our tiny home. I remember how the house smelled with everything cooking and baking and how
excited my sister and I were to know that everyone was coming to our house. Somehow, as it turned out, there was room for everyone. By early afternoon the snow began to fall, unexpectedly. Obviously
technology was not what it is now. :) The snow fell and fell and our house full of people went from
excitement and wonder to some apprehension. How would everyone get home? Would they even
be able to get out of the driveway and on to the main road? But you know what? No one left
early. Everyone stayed all day and into the evening. Though I could not have explained it this
way at that time, in memory I know that on that day I felt somehow insulated and protected. As that blanket of snow fell and drifted all around our little world, I felt safe and warm and loved. It's a feeling that I still remember and a memory that I cherish after all these decades.

My hope for you on this Thanksgiving night, is that your day has caused you to feel safe and warm
and loved. And if you're celebrating tomorrow or Sunday or even next week, it makes no difference.
May you know that wonderful feeling. Each year is different. Each celebration and holiday are
different. Life enters in, with all kinds of problems and issues, but it's the feelings, the memories we hold in our hearts that last.

And now the craziness begins. As Thanksgiving ends, the Christmas season has officially begun. It's going to be a bumpy ride. It always is. Hold on tight and remember to be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment