Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

My Extended Methodist Family

I've been a member of the First United Methodist Church at the corner of State and Servant Streets
in Chester since 1962, though I'm told I began attending there at the tender age of six months. Included in a long list of things for which I am grateful in this life, I am grateful for my membership there and for the church family that helped in the raising of me.

Taken from Chester's history book.......the First Methodist Church in Chester dates from 1840 when D.H. Hatlon, a Methodist circuit rider, collected six communicants in Chester and organized the church. A German Methodist Church was organized in 1848 and together the two congregations
erected a brick church in the year 1850 at 851 State Street. The Methodist Episcopal Church (English speaking) met upstairs and the German Methodists met downstairs. In 1872 the Methodist Episcopals
moved to the building presently being used by the First Christian Church, purchasing it from the
United Presbyterian Church. The Methodists stayed in that location until 1919 when they sold it back
to the United Presbyterians. The Methodists then moved to the location at the corner of State and
Servant where they now reside. The building was built between 1919 and 1920 at a cost of $25,000.
The cornerstone of the building was placed on Sunday, July 11, 1920 at 2:30 p.m. by Chester's mayor and by church member Dr. W.R. McKenzie. Rev Josiah G. Harmon was the pastor. The church continued its growth until there was a need for an educational building to be added in 1961, under the leadership of Pastor R. Paul Sims. This building addition cost the congregation a total of $83,000.

I have memories of the women of the church having weekly community mid-day lunches in the church's basement to assist in raising the money for the addition. They charged 25 cents for each lunch! I'm sure most church members of most churches feel that their women are the best cooks in the world. But I have a step up on the others, because I know that mine are. :) And you are always invited to one of our potlucks, just to help me prove it to you!!!

I have so many wonderful memories of growing up in my church. Sunday School was
uppermost in importance, with such memorable teachers as Manley Limbaugh, Ray Rednour, Ruby
Cheek, Mae Ferrell, Harry and Gertrude Jackson, Bernice Woolcott, Jessie Huffstutler and on and on. They taught me the Bible stories, the Sunday School songs. Through them I learned to know Scriptures and the lessons that have brought me back, time and time again, to a kneeling position - closer to where I need to be. Even after all of these years, those early lessons anchor me. I don't remember this first hand, of course, but my dear, faithful friend Mary Limbaugh has always said, "I've loved you since you were in diapers!" And she has, since she was my nursery teacher in Sunday School. In my case - as in many people's experiences, it has taken a village. I am so thankful for that village.

United Methodist history, in general, tells us that early Methodists were well known for their love
of singing. Throughout my memory we have certainly done a lot of that. I'm sure you have also done so in your own churches. For me, music is a huge part of any worship service. We love the old
standard hymns and tend to belt them out - even though our little congregation is not as large as it
once was.

In addition to a lifelong membership and attendance in my own church, living in a small town has afforded me the opportunity to develop relationships with other local churches. Living in a
closely knit town, we typically attend services and events at other churches and learn about their people, their orders of service, their customs and traditions. How valuable this has been to me. It has caused me to have great respect and love for the other congregations, as well as for my own.

Those who have had the advantage of being raised in a church know the wonderful memories of
experiencing the weddings, the baptisms, funerals, Christmas programs, etc., the events we tend to remember all of our lives. I know that wonderful old building at the corner of State and Servant in Chester is only a building and not my actual church family. Theoretically I know it. But emotionally I do not. Emotionally - when I walk through the doors of my church - I am in the presence of all of those decades of wonderful Christians who I knew and those I didn't know......those people who worked so hard, studied, sang, prayed, struggled, rejoiced and lived. I know that I am a part of them and they are a part of me. Invaluable. Priceless. Memorable. Precious.

I hope I haven't offended anyone as I've raved about my church and church family. My hope for you
is that you have such a relationship with yours. Life is and always will be a struggle, right? How well
we all know that. But when we have a wonderful, loving extended family to prop us up......well, life
is just better.

Have you been outside this evening? It's wonderful out there. And the Cardinals are losing again anyway. So Albert and I are going out for a while, just to close out the day. Enjoy your evening and as always, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the Cardinals forgive me for selling them short. They went on to win and win big against the Reds! Yea!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the Cardinals forgive me for selling them short. They went on to win and win big against the Reds! Yea!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gwendy - I loved reading about your church and your church family and all that you hold dear surrounding that. That particular church has so many special memories for me, too!!! It was where I first learned the name of Jesus and many of those teachers that you mentioned were mine, too. Thank you for sharing all of that!!! PS - not to brag, but my grandpa Henry Runge was head usher there for over 50 years! :-)

    ReplyDelete