Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Are You A Fan?

I don't remember when I became enamored with hand fans, but it was definitely many years ago. Obviously, in the beginning, I'm sure it was because I was HOT a lot of the time! Sometimes it seemed that that good old trusty hand fan that I tried to carry with me most of the time was my most valuable possession. Women would often look at me fanning and smile, if they understood the cause. Or people would sometimes look at me as though thinking that a fan was an odd thing to have with me. Didn't care. I needed to fan!!!

As the years have gone by I have continued to carry a fan with me - I'll say pretty much all of the time. The style of the fans has changed, but there is still one present in my purse or in my hand today and everyday.

The early history of the hand fan actually dates to around 3000 BC and there is evidence that the Greeks, Etruscans and Romans all used fans as cooling and ceremonial devices. Early fans were not of a folding nature, but were of a fixed design. Early European traders are said to have brought prototypes back to Europe, acquired from merchant traders along the coasts of China and Japan. Fans of that era were reserved for royalty and nobility and as expensive "toys". They were regarded as status symbols and were made of ivory, mother of pearl and tortoiseshell, often carved and with gold and silver ornamentation, as well as with precious stones. DISCLAIMER: Do not break in to my home for these fans. I do not have any of those fans. Fixed design fans and folding fans are often seen in portraits of fine ladies throughout the seventeenth century and beyond. As that century progressed, folding fans rapidly gained popularity.

During the eighteenth century old testament Biblical scenes became popular on fans. By the end of the eighteenth and into the nineteenth century, women everywhere utilized fans of all kinds and their production became much less work intensive and much more inexpensive. However, throughout history fashionable artists continued to adorn very lavish fans and to sign their wares. Now I'd like to find some of those! I won't hold my breath.

In addition to the types of fans I've talked about, we probably all remember the ones we've seen in our lifetimes......fans our mamas and grandmas used, with advertising, perhaps of a church or of a funeral chapel. Those were used when churches and other places were not air-conditioned. They were a necessity and now are collectors' items.

In many retail venues today you can purchase fixed design fans, palmetto fans or folding fans very inexpensively. Today, as with many products, they are not necessarily made to last, but because they are inexpensive, they are very replaceable. If you know me at all, you know I am a keeper and user of fans. I always have them "at the ready" and when possible, will coordinate my colors. I know. I know. Don't start with me. It's a sickness. Often friends have brought me beautiful fans from beautiful places and those fans, I do not use. Sentimental. I also have, on many occasions, given fans as gifts to people dear to me. It's a personal gift, but not extravagant and hopefully a thoughtful gift.

As I mentioned on an earlier day, if you join me ON THE PORCH, I will furnish you with a fan if in fact one is needed. Oh, how I look forward to cooler days on the porch!!

1 comment: